Forum > Regional Jr. Festivals

The following proposal comes from Beanie Stotts. I would be interested in your opinions.

The Fargo Public Schools District Administrators will no longer fund All-State Band, Orchestra, and Choir Festivals for the students and teachers. This decision is two-fold because of cost to the district as well as a decision to no longer allow overnight travel at the middle level. This decision has come with a great deal of concern and discussion as the music educators of FPS continue to educate the district on the benefits to our students as well as our programs. The students will be allowed to participate in these festivals through the financial support of their parents, but not under the umbrella of the district. We do not know what the ramifications will be on the associations, but will plan to continue to promote the All-State groups in our schools. The Fargo schools had a combined total of 154 students audition for NDNBA JH All-State Band this year at a cost of $1232.00 and a total of 17 students participate at a cost of $391.00.
The purpose/plan for this proposal is not a substitute of the All-State Band. But the additional opportunity for the middle level student as well as a newly created opportunity for the beginning student and the lower grade high school student. With the newly created opportunity for the beginning band student, it can create enthusiasm for the future possibility to audition and be selected as a member of the JH All-State Band.
The intent of this proposal will also allow the Class B music students to buy into the honor band/all-state concept earlier in their band career. Currently, the Class B high school student is spread so thin in their activities and has the tendency to choose their sport activities over their musical activities. If we can “hook” them earlier when they have fewer activities available, the high school participation may increase.

May 7, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterJohn Darling

I am unclear as to what the propoasal is. Is it an elementary honor band? Is it a different sort of JH All-State Band? A Class B band?

May 8, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterTrudy Fraase Wolf

Sorry - I didn't scroll far enough down. Here's the actual proposal:

NDNBA Region Bands Proposal
2 region bands divisions set up as Eastern Dakota Conference and Western Dakota Conference
CONCEPT:
ND Region Band Festivals: Each school in the region would have the opportunity to nominate students (the number depending on the size of their program) to participate in a day festival at a hosting school. In order to participate in the nomination and festival, the band director(s) would need to be a member of NDNBA. (This would allow us to build our membership as well as give the band students of the state more opportunities to perform.)
Grade Level: beginning band (1st year of playing – ex. 5th – 6th grader)
Middle level (or better choice 2 – 3 years of playing - ex. 6th – 8th grader)
Lower High School (9th – 10th graders)
Look at the day: 9:15 – 10:00 Registration
10:00 – 11:15 full band Rehearsal #1
11:15 – 12:00 Lunch – pizza provided on site
12:00 – 12:45 Sectionals
12:45 – 2:45 full band Rehearsal #2
2:45 – 3:15 Snack (provided) and change for concert
3:20 – 3:40 Pictures?
3:20 – 4:40 Dress Rehearsal (rehearsal #3)
4:40 – 4:55 line up for concert
5:00 – 6:00 Grand Concert to include the beginning band, middle level
band, and lower high school band

The day could include a few director sessions throughout the day using the region band directors’ talents as well as sharing ideas among colleagues.

Shirts: Every member will receive a shirt as they check in to wear for the concert at the end of the day. The t-shirt size will be taken care of when the director, student, parent signs the agreement once the band members have been chosen.
Conductor: Area Middle level, High School, and/or College level directors. The conductor would be contacted by the Region Band chair from a list compiled by the region directors.
Site Manager: Each region would have a centrally located site for easy one day travel, as well as a site manager. This manager would organize the rehearsal sites at the school, send out music to the participants, prepare the program,
NDNBA Region Band Chairs: 2 needed, one EDC and one WDC. This chair would oversee the nomination process, collect funds, contact and secure conductors for each group, select/secure music, order shirts, arrange for the recording and secure copyright and CD ordering.
Band Liaison on the day of the festival: This could be a band director or a high school/college student that would be stationed with each band to insure the clinician and band had all of their needs met.
ALL Band Directors in the region: The expectation would be for participating band directors to help with the entire festival from start to finish. This would include working with sectionals, if needed, registration, set-up, tear down, supervision of students, and other tasks as they arise.
Cost: Each student would pay a fee to participate in the festival. This fee would include the t-shirt, pizza, and snack. This fee would need to pay the clinicians, program costs, manager costs. The registration cost would need to be determined in order to break even at the end of the festival.

Ex: If we were able to use the facility, rather than rent.
Use music, rather than purchasing.
Use volunteer time, rather than paying people.

$25.00 (each member) X 85 members = $2125.00 X 3 bands = $6375.00
$30.00(each member) X 85 members = $2250.00 X 3 bands = $6750.00

Region Band Chair $200.00
Site Manager $150.00
Conductor/Clinician $500.00
$500.00
$500.00
T-Shirts $750.00 (?)
Pizza/Snacks $500.00 (?)
Facility Rent $????
Mailings $100.00 (most correspondence through email) – possibly music could be sent with the music store road rep for savings
Music $????
Performance recording $375.00
Session Clinicians $50.00
$50.00

With the above estimated calculations, the cost is an estimated $3700.00 without music or facility rental. The financial goal of these festivals is to break even. The above estimated costs could be revised in order to allow more funds to go to the region managers, clinicians, or a lower cost to each of the students selected.

May 8, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterJohn Darling

I have attended a few "director nominated" events at the high school level. What usually happens is a gigantic band of mediocre ability. I see listed an estimated 85. How will you limit it to 85? How many students from each school? How do you know directors from small schools like me won't just send everyone regardless of ability? How will one select for instrumentation? These are all sticking points for this type of event. I have had students in this type of band with 30 alto saxophones. In general, my students have found these to be less appealing than an auditioned, more select ensemble.

I have also attended one day events in both instrumental and choral areas. I find these to be less "an event" for my students and less interest in taking part in them. For us anyway, a one day event doesn't necessarily eliminate an overnight stay as we have a long drive to practically everywhere.

I agree cost is an issue for all of us. I believe there are probably already other schools that have the parents pay festival fees. I KNOW there are school where the students have to at least pay the audition fee. I do not know how the JH All-State Band would be impacted (probably a few fewer auditions and perhaps a touch lower skil level), but I still like that format the best, even if it means a little school like me seldom has a participant.

Having said all that...would I particpate? Probably, depending on the date. Schedules are tough!

May 8, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterTrudy Fraase Wolf